The dress and grooming of University High students shall contribute to the health and safety of the individual, promote a positive educational environment, and not disrupt the educational activities and processes of the school.
1. Clothes shall be worn as they are designed-suspenders over the shoulders, pants secured at the waist, belts buckled, no underwear as outerwear, no underwear or boxer shorts exposed. Pajamas or sleeping attire are also prohibited.
2. Clothing with holes, tears, or inappropriate patches, logos, or messages will not be allowed if considered obscene. This includes cut-off pants or shorts.
3. Bare midriffs and bare sides should not show even when arms are extended above the head. Clothing must follow the four finger wide rule at the shoulders.
4. Clothing normally worn when participating in a school sponsored extracurricular or sports activity may be worn to school when approved by the sponsor, coach, or principal. Examples would be cheerleader, drill team and band uniforms, team shirts, etc.
5. Clothing that is too tight, revealing or see-through is unacceptable. This includes low cut tops. Shirts need to be buttoned to cover all undergarments.
6. Garments and/or jewelry which display or suggest sexual, vulgar, drug, alcohol, or tobacco-related wording/graphics or may tend to provoke violence or disruption in school shall not be worn. Wallet Chains, Chains and Connected Rings are not permitted and will be confiscated.
7. Gang paraphernalia, jewelry, tattoos, clothing or other insignias which display, suggest, provoke, or may tend to provoke violence or disruptions are not allowed.
8. The following items have potential to cause disruption or threat to a safe and positive school environment, are prohibited, and will be confiscated as directed by the UHS behavioral chart:
- Hats, caps, do rags, stocking caps, visors, scarves, or bandanas while on campus during the school day. (Wearing hoods is also prohibited.) All students may wear hats for warmth (not baseball hats) when weather is below 50 degrees.
- Chains hanging from the neck, belt, pocket, or attached to wallet.
- Jewelry that contains any type of sharp object.
9. Hemlines of shorts, dresses, skirts, and skorts shall be no shorter than mid-thigh and finger tip length. All pants, shorts, skirts, skorts must be worn over the hips.
10. Shoes shall be worn. The following are not acceptable: Slippers, Cleated Shoes, or Heelys.
11. Sleeves on shirts/blouses must cover the entire shoulder.
12. Sheer clothing must have a four finger top underneath
University High school dress Code examples.pdf