Middle School Eligibility
A student must have an accumulative 2.0 GPA and may participate only once each grade level.
Soccer/Volleyball – Student is automatically eligible the first nine weeks.
Basketball – Accumulative 2.0 GPA from the first two nine weeks (first semester) grading periods.
All Other Sports and Grade Levels – If the cumulative unweighted GPA or previous semester’s unweighted GPA is 2.0 or greater then the student is eligible.
Calculating the GPA - All courses taken in middle school for credit by a middle school student shall be included in the computation of the student’s cumulative grade point average. A student’s grade point average may be raised or lowered by attending a regular organized summer school under the direction of the District School Board provided all courses taken during summer school are completed before the first day of the fall semester. All courses in which a student received a grade (A, B, C, D, F or I) for the school year and the following summer school must be used to calculate the cumulative grade point average. However, when repeating a subject failed on first impulse or repeating a subject passed, the higher of the two grades shall be used to calculate the grade point average. An incomplete grade is considered a failure. A class conducted by a private, certified tutor is not acceptable for removing eligibility deficiency.
Any student entering a middle school after the 5th grade shall provide evidence to the middle school of the grades s/he has achieved since entry into the 6th, 7th or 8th grade, together with evidence sufficient for the school to calculate the student’s GPA based upon the grading scale of the schools previously attended. Until such evidence, satisfactory to the member school, is provided, the student shall not be eligible for participation in athletics.
UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT POLICY
A. DISQUALIFCATION OF A PLAYER
1. Any student-athlete disqualified from a contest for unsportsmanlike conduct or a flagrant foul will be ineligible to compete for the remainder of that contest and in any interscholastic athletic contest for the next seven (7) calendar days at the same level, or any level of participation in which the student-athlete was disqualified. If less than two (2) contests are scheduled during this seven day period of time at the same level as the disqualification, the student will be ineligible for the next two (2) contests. If the disqualification occurs in the last contest of a season the student will be ineligible for the same period of time as stated above in the next sport in which the student participates.
2. Any student-athlete who is disqualified from a contest for unsportsmanlike conduct or a flagrant foul a second or subsequent time will be ineligible to compete in any interscholastic athletic contest for a period of six weeks.
3. It is the responsibility of the local school authorities to ensure this policy is enforced. When an ineligible student is allowed to participate, forfeiture of the contest is mandatory. This applies to all regular season and post season competition.
B. DISQUALIFICATION OF A COACH
1. Any coach disqualified from a contest for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be suspended from coaching for the remainder of that contest and the next regularly scheduled interscholastic athletic contest.
2. Upon disqualification from a contest, a coach shall immediately leave the premises or facility (e.g. gymnasium basketball and volleyball. stadium or field in soccer and track) to a place where the coach is not visible to either athletes, officials, spectators or other coaches; and to where the contest itself is not visible to the coach. A disqualified coach shall not have any further contact with or give instruction to athletes or other members of the coaching staff for the remainder of the contest, including halftime intermission and breaks between quarters. When a coach is disqualified and there is no other authorized school personnel present to take charge of the student-athletes, the contest shall be forfeited.
3. A coach who has drawn a suspension from the next contest after having been disqualified from the previous contest shall not attend the contest from which he/she has been suspended in any capacity and shall not be present at the site. A suspended coach also shall be prohibited from accompanying his/her team to the site of the contest.