Membership in the Gotha Middle School National Junior Honor Society is an honor bestowed upon a student. Candidates are eligible to apply by invitation only after grades have been evaluated. Academic eligibility alone is not a guarantee for induction into the society.
To be eligible for membership in NJHS, a candidate must have at least one semester of grades at Gotha Middle School that shows an average of at least a 3.0 GPA for all subjects, including electives. (Sixth grade students, therefore, are not eligible until the third quarter of the sixth grade year.)
Candidates shall then be evaluated on the basis of service, leadership, character, and citizenship. Receiving an invitation to join does not automatically result in being inducted into NJHS. An application form must be filled out in its entirety and evaluated by a Faculty Council. Along with the application, all eligible candidates must also include a conduct verification form signed by all scheduled teachers that verifies that the student shows positive conduct in class. NJHS students must exhibit these qualities at all times: Character (honesty, integrity, morality, reliability), Citizenship (attitude, cooperative spirit, effort, punctuality), Service, and Leadership (initiative, positive influence, dependability, positions of responsibility). Once selected, members have the duty to continue to demonstrate these qualities.
As an NJHS member:
· Each student is required to attend and participate in all scheduled meetings. Any absences must have a written excuse. Three unexcused absences will result in possible expulsion from the chapter.
· Members must document 10 hours of community service- 5 hours for the first semester and 5 for the second semester. All 10 hours can be documented by the first semester, but not carried over into the second semester. Documentation requires signatures and must be turned in by the last week of the second semester and/or by the sixth week of the last semester.
· It is important to understand that once a student has joined, he or she must maintain the same high standards by which the student first qualified. Students who fall below these standards will be placed on probation for the academic quarter. In addition, if the student is not at standard for the second quarter in a row, he or she will no longer be eligible for membership. An academic probation or exit letter will be given to any student who does not meet the requirements set forth.
· Members who receive in or out of school suspension will automatically be released from the chapter. Additionally, excessive or habitual absences or tardiness are serious matters and will be considered for probationary exclusion from the chapter.
· Students who transfer to Gotha from another school and who had previously achieved membership from that school are automatically considered members of NJHS. A certificate from the previous school is required. As with all members, transfers must also adhere to the same regulations as other Gotha Middle School NJHS members.