The Building Code Compliance Office is responsible for the review of all construction documents for OCPS facilities which includes new or donated playground equipment and its installation.

All construction and/or installation requires:

  • Permits
  • Inspections (Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical, and Building)

Some construction and/or installation requires:

  • Design and Architectural Plan Documents

Please contact the BCCO to determine your specific needs.
Click on a question to read the answer.
If further assistance is required, please contact us:

How Do I...

Why do I need a permit at my school?

Florida Building Codes require a permit to be obtained for performing just about every kind of work, including maintenance, at all schools. This includes work being performed for free, donated or paid for by the school. Once a permit is issued, there are inspections that are required to be performed at intervals during installation. Through these inspections, the Building Code Compliance Office has the assurance that the code requirements are being adhered to, and that the installation is safe.

What happens if I do not obtain the required permit(s)?

A Correction Notice will be issued and the non-permitted installation will be placed out of service and use. A permit will be required to be obtained along with all the required inspections. If the items that are required inspections are covered up or concealed in any fashion, they shall be uncovered and inspected. This may require destruction to occur and the installation be installed again at your expense. A simple phone call to the BCCO prior to start of installation would be very helpful to you and your installation.

How much does a permit cost?

All permits issued by the Building Code Compliance Office are free of charge. This means that you will get the satisfaction and piece of mind that whatever you construct or install will be code compliant and safe for the students, staff and general public that learn, work and visit all of the OCPS schools and facilities without a cost associated.

How do I apply for a permit?

Register with BCCO. Create a password and login using activation letter received from MyGov system. Log into MyGov system. Click "Request Project" button. Pick project type. Describe work. Next. Set location Information (Number street only) Search address. Select. Set Occupancy and valuation. Do not change building code. Set Type: E - Educational. Construction Type: 2B. Enter square footage associated with work. Enter valuation. Set Documents. Next. Summary - Submit application. Done.

How do I cancel a scheduled inspection?

Send an email to [email protected] requesting to cancel your inspections with your permit ID number, AND in Mygov requested an cancellation of your inspection by navigating to your project and type this request in your notes.